Thursday, November 29, 2007

Portrait: People and Cameras


⌠ Portrait ⌡
Of all of my portrait shots, I feel that this one is the most successful. I like the colors, the background, and how the subject posed. Her expression is a bit unusual, but since she was a known subject, I thought the "unsure" expression might confuse people into thinking I didn't know her. Getting this expression was much more difficult than you'd think - she's always laughing and smiling!

⌠ Discussion: People and Cameras ⌡
Unfortunately, I'm about as good in front of the camera as I am behind it - mediocre at best. During the awkward teenage years, taking a picture that I was pleased with was near impossible. (The frizzy hair! The questionable fashion sense!) Nowadays, I find myself more comfortable in front of the camera. On the opposite end, I still struggle with camera technique, but at least it's been an enjoyable learning experience.

As a former hater of cameras, I always feel sympathetic to those who dislike having their picture taken. Now that I have the chance to be behind the camera, I've tried to put my subjects at ease by promising them that they will have the final say on what is used. If the photo is going to be something that is saved forever, the subject shouldn't have to look back on it and feel bad. If it's a picture that they like of themselves, the memory will be fonder.

No comments: